Our Lower Deschutes River Guided trips are offered in one and multiple day fishing adventures for the Deschutes Summer Steelhead, which are nicked named “freight trains.” On our overnight trips we set a base camp approximately 9 miles up river. From this camp we can move up stream or down to fish, depending on where the fish are concentrated.
Deschutes River steelhead are well know for being good fly biters. For our fly fishers we start our day early, taking advantage of the morning shade. We lure fish or resting in the mid-day, then return to the river in the late afternoon. We will fish the afternoon shade right up till dark. We fish the greased line technique, casting down stream at a 45 degree angle mend up stream, hang on and let the fly swing into shore. In my opinion there is nothing like catching one of these spectacular fish on a fly.
If you’re not a fly fisherman don’t worry, these Deschutes River fish are readily taken on lures and plugs all day long. We use a variety of different spinners, spoons and diving plugs. You will find our camp quit comfortable, usually nestled in the trees for mid-day shade. We provide nice lounge chairs, sleeping cots in our large spacious tents, warm water for your evening shower. A dining area and plenty of ice to keep you refreshments cold.
- The most popular and most fun technique is to swing a dry line. Cast downstream at a 45-upstream mend and wait for the tug.
- The same can be done with sink tips in mid day sun. The tips allow the fly to get down to the bottom where the fish are hiding.
- Indicator fishing is also a very popular method for catching steelhead in the mid day sun. We rig very similar as if nymph fishing for trout.
- The Deschutes is an artificial lure only river no bait.
- Spinners and casting plugs can be very affective.
•Deschutes Steelhead Itinerary
•Recommended Things To Bring
•Rod and Tackle List
•Steelhead Fishing Map
We offer these trips the entire month of August.
We hope to see you soon on this trip of a lifetime.
Your Hosts: Craig & Tina Hughson